Wednesday, November 19, 2014

it's been awhile

It's been awhile since I posted last. A long while! I fully expected to be moved and homesteading by now, busy milking cows and fretting over my garden. Instead I'm still in the same place I was the last post. It's funny how life simply doesn't like to follow your plans :)

Of course you can't fully hold a homesteader down. I've started raising some beautiful, rare breeds of chicken and also Labradoodles. I've opened a new home based business and we have entered the world of water catchment. Actually, the last one is out of pure necessity since our well collapsed almost a year ago. Well's are super expensive when you are barely making it month to month! Desperate to collect at least some water from our roof but working with a non existent budget, we purchased some large 35 gallon plastic garbage cans and placed them under the roof runoff area. For the most part we are able to secure enough water to do the basics, flush toilets, wash a little laundry by hand and wash up. We still bring in gallon jugs of water for drinking that we fill elsewhere and try to nab showers when we can at friends and family. It's an educational adventure. I have to admit I miss long baths on cold nights and the ease of throwing the laundry in to wash while doing other things but it is good to know the world doesn't stop spinning and there are ways to work with the issue :)

No comments:

Post a Comment